Accidents in Public Places

Accidents and injuries in public locations

You should be able to go about your daily business without risk of injury, whether you are walking down the street, enjoying a day in the park, or making use of any other public space or building. If you tripped on a loose paving stone or lost your balance due to worn carpets in your local library and been hurt as a result you may be eligible for compensation. Even if your injuries are relatively minor, health issues resulting from an accident in a public place, such as a sprained ankle, can cause inconvenience in your everyday life. More serious accidents can have a severe impact and result in a long-term disability and consequent financial problems.

Types of accidents in public places

Many members of the public suffer injuries each year as a result of tripping over on poorly maintained pavements or public walkways. Although most pavement injuries only consist of cuts and bruises, sometimes these accidents can cause sprains, broken bones, deep lacerations and even concussion.

Privately owned properties which are open to the public are also considered as “public places” for purposes of making a claim, so public places compensation can also be claimed for accidents which occur in:

●    supermarkets
●    car parks
●    shopping centres
●    gyms and swimming pools
●    banks
●    cafes and restaurants
●    libraries
●    schools
●    trains and buses

For information on making a claim in respect of an accident in a private location, see our separate private accidents page.

Claiming compensation for accidents in public locations

If you have been injured in a public location, whatever the nature of your injuries, it’s worth discussing the incident with a specialist personal injury lawyer to find out if you can claim compensation from the council, another public body or the private owner of the space open to the public. The personal injury team at CH Legal has substantial experience of handling claims on behalf of individuals who have been injured in a public accident. We can also help if your child has been injured. To find out more about how we can help you, contact Thomas Phillips or phone 0845 4786 354.