Accidents in Private Locations

Personal injury claims and private locations

If you are injured as a result of an accident in a private location which is not open to the public – such as a private home or office – you may still be able to claim personal injury compensation from the owner or occupier of the space or property.

In order to make a successful claim, you would need to prove that the owner or occupier was responsible for your accident through their negligence. For example, if you tripped over on a dangerous stairway which was obviously a safety hazard, you may be able to bring a claim.

Accidents at home, at work or in public

It can sometimes be tricky to determine who is responsible for an accident. If you slip over on a wet floor in a supermarket, this is a privately owned space but accessible to the public, so the supermarket should have a public liability insurance policy to compensate members of the public who are injured. On the other hand, an office may be considered to be a private space, only accessible to employees – but in this case the business should have employer’s liability insurance in place to compensate employees who are hurt in a workplace accident. An alternative scenario is that you may have been bitten by a dog while at a party in a private residence – in this case there might be no insurance at all and it may be difficult to obtain any compensation.

A well trained personal injury lawyer will be able to untangle the different aspects of your particular accident and help you understand who is responsible and if it is possible to make a claim for compensation.

For information on making a claim in respect of an accident in a public location, see our separate public accidents page.

Claiming compensation for accidents in private locations

If you have been injured in a private residence or other private area, the personal injury team at CH Legal can provide comprehensive legal advice and secure any compensation to which you may be entitled. We have substantial experience of claiming for all types of injuries sustained due to accidents in private locations. We can also help if your child has been injured. To find out more about how we can help, contact Thomas Phillips or phone 0845 4786 354.