Water, damp and mould problems in rented accommodation

Many older rented properties suffer from a wide variety of water related problems such as damp and mould. This may be due to poor plumbing, damaged pipes, small cracks in the walls or other defects which allow rainwater or groundwater to seep in. Water damage may also be caused in apartment buildings by overflowing baths or other spillages and leaks. If a room is warm and humid, such as a bathroom, and there is insufficient ventilation, damp can also take hold.

Should my landlord fix any water or damp issues?

If you notice damp or mould, you should report this to your landlord immediately, as this is a potentially lethal health risk.  People who occupy damp or mouldy buildings – particularly those who suffer from asthma or a compromised immune system – are at increased risk of health problems such as:

●    allergic reactions
●    fungal infections
●    nasal and sinus congestion
●    runny nose
●    eye irritation (eg. itchy, red and watery eyes)
●    respiratory problems (eg. difficulty breathing and chest tightness)
●    coughing
●    throat irritation

Extreme exposure to very high levels of mycotoxins (toxic compounds excreted by mould) can lead to neurological problems and in some cases even death.

Claiming compensation for mould and damp problems

Whether you are a private tenant or live in social or council housing, your landlord has a duty to ensure that your accommodation is safe, so you may be able to make a claim for injuries caused by damp. The housing disrepair team at CH Legal can help to explain your legal rights regarding any damp, mould or water problem in your rented property. If you have suffered health problems as a result, our personal injury lawyers can assess your likely level of compensation and pursue a claim on your behalf. To get in touch with us today, submit the form below or phone 0845 4786 354.