Damage to personal property from housing disrepair

If your personal property is damaged due to negligence on the part of your landlord, you may be able to claim compensation to cover the cost of replacing your damaged items. Damage to a tenant’s property is often due to water leaking from burst pipes which have not been properly maintained by the landlord. Meanwhile, damp or mould which is not tackled and allowed to worsen over time can spoil fabrics such as curtains, carpets, mattresses and bedding, sofa coverings and clothing. It should be noted that damp and mould can also be extremely harmful to health (for further information see our separate mould damage page).

Cost of living elsewhere during repairs to rented accommodation

If you are no longer able to live in your rented home (eg. due to serious structural or water damage), it may be necessary to find alternative accommodation (such as a hotel) while works are being carried out to fix the problem. In this case, you might be able to claim the cost of such accommodation from your landlord.

You may also be entitled to compensation for damage caused to your personal property by any work being carried out by your landlord (eg. water spillage during plumbing).

Can I claim compensation for damage caused by housing disrepair?

Whether you are a private tenant or live in social or council housing, your landlord should carry out repairs promptly to prevent damage to health and personal property of tenants. The housing disrepair team at CH Legal can advise you on claiming compensation in respect of damage to your personal effects due to landlord negligence. We can also explain the possibility of claiming for costs incurred in finding alternative accommodation while you are unable to live in your home. To find out more, submit the form below or phone 0845 4786 354.