What is housing disrepair?

housing disrepair roof daamge

All tenants have the right to live in accommodation which is safe, and landlords are obliged to ensure that any housing disrepair issues which are potential health hazards or risk causing personal injury are addressed and resolved without undue delay. Housing disrepair can refer to anything which causes a property to be unfit for habitation or otherwise unsatisfactory. Your landlord’s responsibilities with regard to housing disrepair issues can include:

●    maintaining a boiler and gas appliances and carrying out an annual safety check
●    carrying out repairs to the exterior of a property (eg. fixing loose roof tiles and guttering)
●    addressing plumbing problems such as defects with pipes which cause leaks, damp or mould
●    ensuring adequate ventilation in areas without windows, such as a bathroom, to prevent build up of damp and mould
●    fixing any dodgy electrical wiring
●    making staircases and bannisters safe for use

What kind of claims can I make for housing disrepair?

The type of claims you can make broadly fall into the following three categories:

Health hazards

Poor maintenance of accommodation can lead to ongoing or acute health problems. Damp or mouldy buildings may cause fungal infections, throat irritation and respiratory problems, while a faulty gas boiler or gas appliance can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, tiredness and even result in death.

Personal injury

Housing disrepair can compromise the structural integrity of a building or lead to breakages of fixtures, fittings and damage to the exterior of a property, which may result in personal injury. For example, a loose roof tile could fall, causing head injuries or worse, and poorly maintained stairs can lead to a nasty fall.

Damage to personal property

Damp or mould can spoil fabrics such as curtains, carpets, mattresses and bedding. A broken pipe can cause a major spillage and ruin clothing, electrical appliance and other personal possessions.

How do I claim compensation for housing disrepair issues?

Whether you are a private tenant or live in social or council housing, you may be able to claim compensation for a range of health problems, injuries or damage to personal property caused by a negligent landlord. The housing disrepair team at CH Legal has substantial experience of successfully obtaining significant amounts of compensation for our clients. To find out how we can help you with your claim, submit the form below or phone 0845 4786 354.