What is obstetrics?
Obstetrics is the branch of medicine focusing on the health and well being of mother and baby before, during and after childbirth. There are a wide range of health problems which can arise due to negligent care by obstetricians and related medical professionals. Some of the more common related claims involve:
● delays in diagnosis and treatment for conditions such as ectopic pregnancy and gestational hypertension
● poor antenatal care
● mistakes during labour and delivery, including the incorrect use of forceps (see our birth injuries page for further information)
● misinterpretation of baby scans resulting in failure to spot abnormalities
Another serious problem relates to injuries sustained by the baby in the womb due to mistakes with amniocentesis, a diagnostic procedure for detecting abnormalities of the fetus which normally takes place between the 16th and 18th weeks of pregnancy. Amniocentesis involves the insertion of a hollow needle through the mother’s belly and amniotic fluid. If this procedure is not properly conducted, the needle can enter the fetal brain and result in severe brain damage which may not become apparent until the baby is several months old.
What is gynaecology?
Gynaecology concerns the diagnosis and treatment of disorders in the female reproductive system. Some of the common claims relating to this area include:
● failed sterilisation (see our failed sterilisation page for further information)
● failure or delay in diagnosis and treatment of cancer or an infection (eg. as a result of smear tests)
● surgical errors during abortion or hysterectomy
● unnecessary hysterectomy
Making obstetrics and gynaecology compensation claims
The experienced team of clinical negligence lawyers at CH Legal understand the sensitive nature of cases involving obstetrics and gynaecology. We can advise our clients on any potential claims they may have and we always strive to achieve the highest levels of compensation whilst minimising any stress involved with a case. To find out how we can help you, contact Rukhsana Arif or phone 0845 4786 354.