Damp & Mould In A Council House: What Can You Do?

As your landlord, the Council or Housing Association owe you a duty of care the same way as any private landlord would. The council or housing association must make sure that any housing disrepair issues which are potential health hazards are resolved quickly and at their cost.

Damp and mould are a common complaint amongst council and housing association tenants. Living in such conditions can cause ill-health, damage to personal belongings, increased heating costs and even a bad smell. The most common problems causing damp and mould within the walls and floors are leaking pipes, lack of insulation, gutting and roofing problems. A lack of ventilation, specifically in bathrooms and kitchens is also known to cause damp and mould.

According to NHS Choices mould and damp can damage your health as mould produces allergens, irritants and sometimes toxic substances. It might also trigger asthma attacks, bad coughs and allergic reactions like runny nose, skin rash and red eyes.

Most people don’t know that they are entitled to live in damp free and mould free housing. Your landlord is obliged to provide suitable accommodation for you at their cost.

If you think you are living in a property that is in a state of disrepair and you have suffered inconvenience or ill-health as a result, you might be entitled to claim compensation and have the property repaired, at no cost to you.

The Team at CH Legal have significant experience in dealing with Housing Disrepair claims. If you have any questions about Settlement Agreements, please contact Rebecca Harris on 0161 745 9170.