During these challenging financial times, making the decision to leave a marriage or long term relationship can be overwhelming. It’s important to ensure that your solicitor is a suitable candidate for you to discuss important, personal matters. Here are our top tips:
- When looking for your solicitor, speak to friends who have been divorced and ask their opinions on who they’d recommend. Perhaps see if the solicitor will offer a free initial consultation to check there is a rapport between the two of you. For the coming months, your solicitor will be on speed dial and will know the most personal details of your family life – a suitable fit is a must!
- Ensure you check that the solicitor offers a transparent policy on costs and from the outset is able to explain the fees. Clients should be in control and know when they will be charged, as well as understanding the various funding options available.
- Costs should be calculated on the basis of time spent progressing the client’s case – with no hidden extras. Many solicitors, including CH Legal also offer fixed fee packages, which make the initial divorce process less intimidating and more affordable. Fixed fee divorces normally start from £600 plus VAT and court fees.
- As family law solicitors, our goal is to help you move forward and we encourage our clients to make informed, future-focussed decisions, personally and for their families. Going through the divorce process is emotionally draining and with the added financial stress, can make life very difficult. Your divorce lawyer should guide you through every step of the way and offer clear-cut, practical options to reduce your legal costs.
- Transparency is key and clients need to be as informed as possible by doing their own independent research about the divorce process, so they are in a more empowered position when discussing legal issues.
- Most people going through a divorce are juggling a lot to begin with. They are often working and have children who need emotional support. A family law specialist must be aware of everything happening within the family unit to help prevent further stress and smooth out the bumps along the way.
- Each divorce or separation is unique to that couple. It’s mostly never straightforward, so ask for a tailor-made solution to suit your circumstances. These could include a case review service so if you are unhappy with your current solicitor, another solicitor can review your case for a fixed fee. This normally costs around £250 plus VAT.
- Other options include a ‘pay as you go’ service for those who want little involvement with their solicitor. Clients can also speak to solicitors about them acting in a shadowing capacity to help draft court applications and to prepare for court hearings.
At CH Legal we can help. Contact Lindsay Jones for a free, no obligation chat 0161 745 9170.